Is it hard to find work in the Christian Entertainment Industry?

• Is it hard to find work in the Christian Entertainment Industry?

Marty updated 11 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Marty

April 25, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Also does it matter if your just starting out or a veteran?

• Matthew Allen

May 1, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Thanks very much for that question, Marty, and hi everyone!

I am a Canadian film writer, living on the beautiful east coast, who has been trying to “break into” the American Christian film world for a few years now with little success. Canada is a wonderful place to live, but the film industry is extremely limited, let alone for Christian filmmaking. I graduated college last week with a Marketing Diploma, but feel like filmmaking is not only my passion, but very possibly the calling for my life’s work. Many people, including myself, have prayed about this, and in the meantime I have studied film extensively and honed my writing skills by creating several feature-length scripts, continually improving from one to the next.

For people who are not Americans, and especially for those who are without a great of funds for travel like myself, it is nearly impossible to reach individuals in the Christian film world with the power, position and influence to actually push the process forward unless you know someone who knows someone, etc. (which I don’t)

This is disappointing to me as I feel my only other option to pursue film is from a secular, Hollywood-type starting point, where there are plenty of opportunities to submit screenplays and get in contact with professionals in the field. However, at the exact same time, I see just as many opportunities to get lost in the Wild West of corruption and immorality, both culturally and in the film content itself when one is just starting out.

I have never attended ICFF in person but have wanted to for the past few years, obviously this year the festival is online, making it easier to participate from a financial perspective. I am definitely “looking for work” related to writing especially, but also directing, and would love to connect with people who are similarly passionate for quality content with a Gospel-based message.

Great to finally make y’all’s acquaintance!
    Matt 🙂

• Marty

May 2, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Wow. I didn’t realize that it was much tougher in Canada. Has participating in Christian film festivals help? Or joining filmmaking groups on social media?

• Matthew Allen

May 2, 2020 at 3:18 pm

There seems to be only one real organized Canadian Christian film festival: The Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival (CIFF). It’s a relatively new festival, just in the last few years and this will hopefully be my first year participating in it. Canada is a huge country with low population density, so just for context, CIFF takes place in Toronto, which is about 1,000 miles from where I live on the Atlantic coast. I am talking to them right now about screenplay submissions; because my background is specifically in screenwriting, many festivals will only accept films and those films’ screenplays for awards, opposed to being able to submit original, unproduced scripts. I actually just got an email from another festival saying that they do not take unproduced scripts as I am writing this reply!

And beyond local churches having events where members can share projects with the community, which I always enjoy participating in, most Canadian film events are purely for fun. I have some great friends that I have collaborated with on small projects, they are equally involved with “out of the industry” writing and filmmaking just for fun.

On the social media side of things, I so appreciate a space like the ICFF Club, as having Facebook specifically drove me crazy to the point I deactivated my account several years ago. I am getting back into social media now for networking purposes, but I love stuff like the ICFF Club so everyone can focus on faith and film, without being distracted with everything else in the world being presented, like on Facebook. I just find the amount of spam, advertising, fighting, negativity, etc. overwhelming and try to avoid it where I can. So bless you all for setting this up!

• Marty

May 2, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Yes, you’re right about Facebook. This is partly the reason why we created this club so that we can focus on Chris, Filmmaking, music and things that truly matter Innocent and also being able to fellowship and pray together.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now